Gus Mueller on The Wilderness

I’ve been feeling pretty much like this expresses lately, even with all this exciting news lately about iOS 8, iPhone 6/6 Plus, and ?WATCH (Apple WATCH):

The Shape of Everything: The Wilderness

However much time I’ve been doing this for, and no matter how much practice I put into it, there’s one thing that always sneaks up and pulls the rug right from under me. It’s usually between major releases, but not always. It’s a period of time where I’m pretty lost, and I don’t know what to do. I have feature lists, I have open bugs to fix, and I have an outline of where the app is going. But I feel mentally incapacitated, like I’m getting nothing done.

The good news is that I’ve got some exciting ideas brewing that I hope will come to shape soon…

Git: The difference between Pull and Fetch

I really appreciated how Greg Hewgill summarized the difference between the two Git functions “Pull” and “Fetch” on Stackoverflow:

In the simplest terms, “git pull” does a “git fetch” followed by a “git merge”.

You can do a “git fetch” at any time to update your local copy of a remote branch. This operation never changes any of your own branches and is safe to do without changing your working copy. I have even heard of people running “git fetch” periodically in a cron job in the background (although I wouldn’t recommend doing this).

A “git pull” is what you would do to bring your repository up to date with a remote repository.

Solved a problem with an Visual Studio 2008 “Source control provider could not be found” error…

I had run into this problem before.

Setup

  1. I have my Visual Studio 2008 options set to reload the previously loaded solution on startup.
  2. I use Subversion.
  3. I use AnkhSVN as my SVN provider in Visual Studio 2008.

Problem
If I launched Visual Studio 2008 with a particular solution loaded when I last closed VS, I would receive a “Source control provider could not be found” error.

However… if I just launched it via double-clicking on the .SLN file in my file system, no error!!!

Weird.

OK – so I did a quick diff on a solution that I knew worked fine. Both had the expected source control provider information embedded:

SccProjectName = "Svn"
SccAuxPath = "Svn"
SccLocalPath = "Svn"
SccProvider = "SubversionScc"

However there was a difference.

The solution that did not generate the error message also contained the following block in the “Global” section:

GlobalSection(SubversionScc) = preSolution
    Svn-Managed = True
    Manager = AnkhSVN - Subversion Support for Visual Studio
EndGlobalSection

Which somehow got generated in one solution, but not the one causing problems. Once I copied the block from one solution to the other, the error message ceased to be shown on launch of VS2008.